About the Ladders
Chad’s Tennis Club currently runs two ladder competitions, open to all members at all ability levels. They provide an opportunity for competitive but fun play. For newer members, this is a great way to meet other players at the club.
We run a mixed singles ladder for both men and women. Likewise, we run one combined individual doubles ladder for all pairings (men, ladies, mixed).
The singles ladder works by ranking players in a table. You can challenge a player above you to a match. If you win, you will take your opponent’s place and your opponent will drop down one position. If you lose, you both remain where you are. Players should naturally reach a level in the ladder where they can play against opponents of a similar ability. The ladder rewards both winning and regular play. Players are free to choose how often they want to play.
New for summer 2022, we’re running an individual doubles ladder. Each player is individually ranked, based on the number of matches and sets they win. You can either arrange a match with specific players or issue an open challenge to invite players to play a match at a given time.
If you joined the singles or doubles ladders in previous seasons, you will need to login and join the new Summer 2022 ladders. Player positions will not be carried over. The summer ladders will run until the end of September.
You can sign up to play on the ladders by self-registering with TennisRungs at https://app.tennisrungs.com/Public/Register/80451371 . To register you will need a Join Code, which is the same as the number of the court padlock. If you’ve forgotten this code, you need to contact Renske van Englen (Members’ Secretary). During registration you will be asked to provide an email address, which will be shared with other players to arrange matches. If you choose to add a phone number, this will also be shared.
Once registered you can click on ‘Join Ladder’ to join either the Summer Singles 2022 or Summer Individual Doubles 2022 ladder (or both). You can leave or join a ladder at any time. New players will join at the bottom. You can suspend participation in the ladders if you are away, injured, or otherwise temporarily unavailable.
There are apps available to download: just follow the links provided on registration, or search your app store for ‘tennisrungs’.
Initial placement is in order of registration. If you prefer to be moved lower down the ladder, please contact Justin Carveley.
To arrange a singles match
- Go to the Summer Singles 2022 ladder on TennisRungs.
Click ‘Issue Challenge’ next to your chosen opponent.
- Wait for the other player to accept or reject your challenge. You will be notified by email.
- If your challenge is accepted, arrange a time to play with your opponent by using the ‘Contact details’ link.
The basic rules are:
- 3 set matches *. The 3rd set to be played as just a champion’s tie break (first to 10 points with 2 point difference)
- You can only challenge one other player at a time.
- You can challenge up to 3 places above (or any below, if you want).
- If the loser is higher ranked, the winner takes a loser’s place and the loser moves down a position. Otherwise, positions remain unchanged.
- Players are expected to respond to challenges within a few days.
- Players will lose 5 places if they are inactive for 21 days.
* Alternative match lengths may be played by prior agreement of both players.
Individual Doubles Ladder
To arrange a doubles match:
- If you already have a specific partner or opponents you want to play with, arrange a date and time to play with them.
- Book a court for the date and time you want to play. 3 set matches will typically require 90 mins.
(Please remember to release your court booking if you cancel a match or if your proposed match is not accepted.)
- Go to the Summer Individual Doubles 2022 ladder in TennisRungs.
Click ‘Propose Match’. Enter the date and time you’ve booked and the names of any players who’ve already arranged to play. Leave player names blank to issue an open invitation to other ladder players to fill any remaining slots.
- Wait for other players to accept any open positions.
- Play the match on the date and time arranged.
- Click Report Score against the match in TennisRungs and enter the result.
The basic rules are:
- 3 set matches *. The 3rd set to be played as just a champion’s tie break (first to 10 points with 2 point difference).
- You can only propose only one match at a time.
- You will be awarded 1 point for each set won.
- You will be awarded 1 additional point for each match won.
* Alternative match lengths may be played by prior agreement of all players.
If you have any further questions about joining or playing in the ladder competitions, please contact Justin Carveley.